Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Turnaround for MWO

       There seems to be a huge amount of optimism, and suggestions, posted in the official, and unofficial MWO forums following the announcement of the sale of the game to "The Right People".   While I too feel this, and look forward to seeing what changes come, I am advising patience and caution.

       Patience because even if they immediately begin to turn everything around to the way the community has been politely suggesting for months (with ropes, torches, and pitchforks in hand), it will take time.  Given the nature of the changes, quite a bit of time.

       Due to school demanding my time (in between my job and kids) I haven't played in a while. (Weeks)  I'm done now. (MBA)  But I hadn't played because I felt the game was stagnating.  I am going to keep up with the updates and see where this goes though.  I feel the same optimism the rest of you do.

       I also advise caution.  Just because the right people own the game does not make the things they (and we), want economically viable.  Remember many have already given up on the game, and may not ever return.  As far as MMOs go this one is Medium, not massive, Multi-player, Online.  Smaller player bases make some features cost more than they could ever return.  I don't work for them and am not privy to their numbers, but I suspect if the things we wanted were economically viable, they would be done already.

       In any case there is the old Hollywood adage: "Good, Fast, Cheap.  Pick which two".  This applies to most things.  Now you could argue we had none of the above before, but even best case scenario: a good, fast game won't be cheap.  A cheap, good game won't be fast, and a fast, cheap game won't be good.

       So be optimistic, but be patient with the new owners.  And don't be surprised when not as much changes as you were hoping for.  Good Hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment